Saturday, April 4, 2009

Church in Appalachia





I recognize my great aunt Evangeline Salyers (Van)and my great aunt Ermalee Meade standing with her husband Junior Meade in this picture. They were my Granny Brennan's sisters. This was always a very religious family. My Granny and Van and their mother Buryel Salyers were ministers in southern West Virginia for as long as I can remember. I always thought this was very "women's lib" of them, because many people where I am from think that women shouldn't lead a church. They would not have approved of my thinking since they still feel that men are the head of the household; however, they loved the Lord and wanted to serve him, so they did.

Even though these pictures were taken in the 50's, church still looks much the same today around here.

No comments: