Thursday, April 9, 2009

I let my dad drive

In 2002 I took my dad home from the hospital. He was given a week to 10 days to live. He was with me for 2 and 3/4 blessed years more.

He was an amputee and his other foot was so swollen and infected that it was a fight everyday for him to keep it. There was a point about 2 years into his stay that we were on our way to Logan on Corridor G. We were in a deserted area of the highway and I pulled over and I asked him if he would like to drive.

HE WAS THRILLED! MY DAD WAS A CAR DEALER WITH PROBABLY MILLIONS OF MILES UNDER HIS BELT AND HE HAD NOT DRIVEN IN YEARS.

I helped him scoot over to the drivers seat and I told him we would just set the cruise control when he got the car up to speed. (his foot was so bad that he had no real control to use the pedals) When he got up to 60 mph I set the control for him. (it was all he could do to hold the steering wheel and stay in the lane!)

I was practically on top of him ready to react in case of emergency (we were in a van so I could position myself between the seats) He was having the time of his life. Nothing gives you a feeling of independence like driving - especially when it is second nature to you for most of your life!

I kept tweaking the steering wheel for him (he was driving right on the center line - even when we were passing a car or two!) I was trying to encourage him and guide him when he says to me, "You need to shut up! You're driving me crazy!"

I said, "I know daddy, but you don't realize just how bad your driving is!" Besides I have to talk or I CAN'T BREATHE!"

He died laughing and continued to drive for about 30 more miles. When it was time to get back on the road to granny's house he said, "I'm going to drive on to mom's."

I objected telling him that he promised me that he would pull over before we got to the 2 lane. He assured me that he could do it and I assured him that he couldn't. He pulled over when I told him that if he ever wanted to drive again he would pull over.

It was one of the happiest days of both our lives and one of the biggest thrills ever!

1 comment:

Punguin said...

Another great memory.