Sunday, May 24, 2009

Know any good euphemisms?

"Daddy, I jumped off the roof!!"

My stepdaughter, Katie, raced through the house screaming those words, which of course sent fear through our hearts. We jumped up running to her with a thousand thoughts racing through our minds.

1. How could she jump off the second floor and not be splattered on the ground!

2. Is she Ok!

3. Why is she not !

4. What possessed her to do such a thing!

I had all these thoughts and more all at the same time. When I saw her I couldn't figure out why she wasn't hurt! Here she was standing before me and babbling on and I was looking to see what was broken and what wasn't. Finally I said, "What in the world is wrong with you."

She said, "Pam, I got my period!" She was thrilled to . Her twin sister had gotten hers first and she had been desperate to get hers. (a mind set I could never understand in a million years myself - why in the world would anybody WANT a period?)

"Oh my God! I thought you were really hurt," I said. "Why did you come screaming through here hollering, I jumped off the roof!?"

She said, "That's what grandma calls it. The first time you get your period it's called, jumping off the roof".

That was a new one on me. I had never heard it before or since. Then she had to call everybody and let them know.

No comments: