Wednesday, September 9, 2009

"Why are you doing this to me?"

I have only killed one snake in my life.

I pulled up to my house one day to find one of my cats playing with one. I wanted the cat to learn to if he saw them, so I decided to demonstrate that it needed to die. (it was next to my house which is why I got the cats to begin with)

I took a hoe and I tried to wack it's head off. It didn't work the first time. I remember that snake looking at me as if to say, "why are you doing this to me? I haven't done anything to you."

Unfortunately I had to finish what I started because the snake was mortally wounded and would have just suffered. I never forgot that look in it's eye. I saw so many snakes on that 100 acres that I'm not scared of them anymore anyway. Every snake that I saw was running away from me except for one. The way he was ping,ping, pinging on the side of my lawnmower, I knew he would have killed me if he has been biting the side of my leg. (which was about a foot away from where he was trying to bite)

I decided to get all those cats (5 plus assorted kittens) because about a week after I moved in the place I found a 3 foot long shedded snakeskin in the middle of my kitchen floor. I never did find the snake. I should have known there would be a problem with snakes because when I moved into the house I thought there would be a problem with mice. The house had been empty for awhile and the grass around the house was about 3 foot tall. I NEVER did see a mouse. The reason I didn't see a mouse was because the snakes were eating them all!

I never saw a snake around the house again after I got the cats either.

No comments: