Thursday, October 21, 2010

A Last Visit with My Beautiful Granny?

I received an email on Tuesday that my granny wasn't expected to live through the week. She is 84 years old and has been in a nursing home for the past year. She had another heart attack.

I went to visit her. I walked into the room to see a small shell of a woman who just a few short years ago nothing could keep down. She was sleeping and I didn't want to wake her. I sat there a few minutes and I decided to go get her a card because I know how much she loves them.

I found a lovely Halloween Candy bouquet which she couldn't have but I bought it anyway. I know from taking care of my dad that a little candy goes a long way in a hospital room. When I got back to her room she was still sleeping but there was a container of yogurt beside her bed. I decided to see if I could get her to eat.

I woke her up and at first she didn't know who I was but I kept talking to her and feeding her the "strawberry pudding". It wasn't long before she realized it was me. We talked a lot but I couldn't understand much of what she was saying. It didn't matter. We were both happy. (I am her oldest grandchild) I showed her the bouquet I bought her. I told her it was beautiful, fall flowers. She loved it. I remember her house being decorated with amber and scarlet and green and gold.

Then my Aunt Wanda came in. She gave me an update on granny's health. All of a sudden my beautiful granny started to sing a hymn. I had been coaxing her before my aunt came in but I had forgotten about it. Granny looked so happy and so did my aunt for that matter. She said granny hadn't been that active in days. As granny sang you could see the joy on her face and the happiness in her voice. She sang a hymn that I do not know the name of. She sang of "no more sorrow, no more pain", and "a beautiful day". My granny was an evangelist and religion was the most important thing in her life.

It was a good visit. I hope to have another.

No comments: