Friday, January 28, 2011

I had a dog that couldn't swim

Her name was Chuckles. She was a miniaturized red husky and she was the bestest and smartest dog I ever had. (and I have had a lot of them) She was beautiful with red fur and tan trim and husky eyes that burned like fire instead of shiney blue. Everywhere we went people offered to buy her on the spot. I wouldn't have sold her for a million dollars.

Bobby found her in a brown paper bag in an alley when she was about 5 weeks old. I fell in love with her at first sight and I tried to find the owner but I couldn't. After spending a fortune at the vet's because she was sick, I moved when we brought her back home because we weren't allowed to have pets. After we had her for about 3 months Bobby walked out of a gas station one day and said, "I think I have found Chuckles real owner."

I was devastated but I mustered up all my courage and walked into Super America with the dog. As soon as the cashier saw her she said, "Yep, she's mine." Apparently somebody had stolen her out of her front yard and dropped her off where Bobby found her. Fortunately I went to school with Lemmie(the cashier) and when she saw how much I loved her and heard what good care we had taken of her she let me keep her. Bobby and I left and promised her a pup if we ever bred her.

One day I decided to bathe her in the creek behind my in-law's house. I walked out into about 18 inches of water and Chuckles was following me. I turned around to see her floating away under water. Fortunately I was able to catch her. I went ahead and gave her a bath. She was paddling the whole time andeverytime I let her go she would sink like a rock. I had never seen anything like it - a dog that actually could not swim.

We went swimming in a swimming hole a few months after this and I took her out with me. I knew by this time not to let loose of her. Bobby stood about 5 feet from me and called to Chuckles and she was paddling desperately to get to him so I kind of gave her a push to help her go and again she sank like a rock. When I reached under water to pull her up she was about waist deep under water and the water was about chest deep on me. I never tried to let her swim again.

We always took her out in the water with us and she liked it, but we carried her the whole time after that. If we didn't carry her and tried to leave her on the bank she would nearly drown herself trying to get to us, so that 's the way it had to be.

No comments: