Sunday, March 1, 2009

Pepaw Brennan




This is my Pepaw Brennan when he was a soldier in WWII. I was told once that when he came back from Germany that he had a whole suitcase full of money. I do not know if this was true or not but I do know that this kind of thing happenned.

My dad was only 3 or 4 when Pepaw came home from the war. Granny said he idolized his dad and was excited to see him. Pepaw was not a good dad or husband. He was a mean alcoholic and my dad had to endure many beatings from him.

The other picture was taken at a family reunion in 1980. This was the year I graduated and all was right with my world. In November 1981 I ran into trouble with the law. Nobody in my family wanted anything to do with me - including my parents. Strangely enough Pepaw was the only person who was nice to me or offered me any help whatsoever. He said I was a good kid that just hit on a rough patch and I would get past it - he was right.

1 comment:

Lily said...

I believe it could be true what yiou write re the money!
But you don't know, what currency it was. It could easily have been Reichs-Mark, which means, it was worth nothing! I also can imagine that what you write about is true, he really doesn't look like such a sweet guy...
ML, Sarah Sofia