Sunday, April 19, 2009

A Kid's View of the Watergate Trials

The only thing that I can remember about the Watergate Trials is that I HATED President Nixon! It was HIS fault that they took Mr. Cartoon off everyday after school!

In those days we would sing songs from HeeHaw everday on the school bus on the way home from school. Our driver's name was Mary Stoneoff. She had big, teased up, red hair and red lipstick and sunglasses. She had a CB radio on the bus BEFORE the CB craze of the mid 70's. She smoked like a freight train and as I look back she must have had the patience of a saint to put up with us!

I would try to get out early in the morning so she would pick me up on the way to my friend, Suzanne's house. Suzanne and I would sit in the back seat and when Stoneoff turned the bus around at the RED BARN RESTAURANT she always hit a ditch that would send me and Suzanne flying into the air! It was better than being in the back car of a rollercoaster. One time Suzanne flew so high she hit her head on the roof of the school bus and cried all the way to school.

We had a great bus stop. We would play chase every morning and when we would see the school bus coming the last one to base would be "it" first the next morning.

No comments: