Thursday, September 24, 2009

Times Have Changed

Postcards from the Old South

Captions read as follows:

1. LISTENING TO THE MASTER'S WORD

2. "HUNTING" IN DIXIELAND

3. A WATERMELON FEAST IN DIXIELAND

4. LOLLYPOPS AND "CHOCOLATE DROPS" IN DIXIELAND

5."LOVER'S LEAP"

6. CHIMNEY ROCK

I found these postcards in some paperwork that belonged to my grandparents. While I don't remember these postcards in particular I do know that they would have found them to be hilarious. At the same time they were laughing at them they would have been telling me, "those kinds of things aren't said in front of negroes." They also taught me, "you should be kind to them, and be friends with them, but you don't mix with them."

Thankfully the world has changed over my generation and MAYBE racism will die out completely someday.

No comments: