Friday, October 30, 2009

Pure Blind Terror

One year I met my sister-in-law with my niece and nephew for a walk on a haunted trail at Cato Park. It was full of pretty standard Halloween monsters and gore which my obnoxious niece (she was thirteen at the time) pretty much spoiled for the rest of the group with her teenage mouth. The absolute biggest scare (and the only surprise) came at the very end of the trail.
We came upon an accident scene complete with wrecked cars and mangled bodies strewn everywhere. As we were standing there looking at the carnage, all of a sudden at the exact same time all of dead bodies leaped to their feet and starting running toward us and chasing anybody that ran. It even scared my sarcastic niece! My poor nephew (eight years old) started running. The problem was that when he turned to run, he ran straight into me. He was not even aware that he hit me. I could feel his little arms and knees pumping as he continued to run - not realizing that he wasn't going anywhere. He just kept running into me. It was a good thing that he hit me because if I had been a tree he would have probably been knocked out he hit me so hard.
I had to pick him up and carry him for a little way down the trail because he was in a mindless state of pure blind terror. It was hilarious. In a way I felt sorry for him because I knew exactly how he felt. I knew how to comfort him though because I know through experience what it feels like for somebody to scare you out of your mind.

No comments: