Thursday, January 7, 2010

Kiss Off the Boss!

I took a nighttime job once because I have insomnia and I figured I might as well make some money while I was awake, also it paid $1.00 an hour more for night stock. It turns out I like night stock because you don't have to deal with any people which is a definite plus in the retail world.

Anyway I came in to work one day and looked at the next weeks schedule and I saw that I had been switched to days which meant I would be making a dollar an hour less - effectively a pay cut the way I saw it. I went to my boss to discuss this with her and she informed me that she had hired a new girl who didn't know how to run a register so she had put me on days. When I pointed out to her that she was paying someone who didn't know as much as I did more money than I was getting she told me, "I needed to remember how things were and you will be staying on days!"

I looked her square in the eye and told her "I fully intend to remember how things are and I want you to remember that statment." As I walked out of the office to finish my shift I heard the loud crash of her fist hitting her desk and a loud expletive that I will lead to your imagination.

I went to Fruth the next morning (I had left there on good terms) and they hired me back making more money than I was making at the night stock job. I gave the other manager notice later that night because I couldn't start working at Fruth until the next schedule came out.

There are 2 lessons from this experience:

1. Always leave a jo ood terms whenever possible so that you can go back if you need to

2. Don't take shit from your boss!!

No comments: