Monday, November 1, 2010

I Should Have Been a Make-Up Artist

Last Halloween I worked with Shane. I did my make-up to look like I had been severly beaten. Shane dressed in his usual bad boy, rocker apparel with some extra make-up. When customers would ask me, "who beat you up?"

I would tell them, "Shane did it." We would laugh and have a good time with it. By the way my make-up was extremely realistic looking. I looked beat up in a battered wife kind of way, not a Halloween gore kind of way.

One particular customer came in and he demanded to know who had beaten me up. I replied with my usual, "Shane did it," and a nod of my head toward Shane. The man started grumbling to himself. He told me he would take care of the situation. I continued to kid with him.

Then it dawned on me that the man was serious. He really thought Shane had beaten me up. He told me, "he doesn't know what I do for a living, but I will take care of this." So then I tried to fix the situation by denying that I had been beaten but the man didn't believe me. Finally I had to wipe some of the make-up off of my face so he could see that no one had beaten me. I was really worried about Shane for a minute there.

It was kind of nice to know that one of my customers was so protective of me. I have wondered ever since, "what in the world he does for a living?" I have asked but he won't tell me.

No comments: