Tuesday, May 17, 2011

We WERE the Bad News Bears

Remember the movie, "The Bad News Bears"? It came out when I was in highschool. Either intentionally or unintentionally we modeled our softball team after them. We lost every game but one in the regular season. It was a good thing the tournament was double elimination because we lost the first game of the playoffs as well. We weren't bad players. We had been together for 3 or 4 years and our goal was to have fun much to our coaches chagrin.

He rode us constantly about how we had the ability to win, we just had to use it... and "Quit clowning around for God's Sake!" After that loss it was time for us to kick it in gear and we won the whole durn shootin' match as they say. We had everybody in the league shaking their heads and asking, "Why didn't you guys play like that all year?" We just laughed and went on our merry ways.

Here is how the greatest loss we ever played went:

We were in the bottom of the 7th. (we played 7 innings) We were behind 10 runs and we won the arguement over whether or not they should use the 10 run rule or not. (We voted "not and they didn't) There were 2 outs and I was up. I always batted 5th. because I was our most reliable hitter. Sue Lee batted clean-up because she was the only one who could hit an actual homer over the fence.

Anyway, the bases were loaded. I smacked a line drive to center field and got a triple out of it. Three runs blasted in by me! It started a rally. Everybody hit at least a single! Even the 2 girls at the bottom of our line up got on base. I actually got to bat another time!

We got 9 more runs before somebody (I don't remember who) got that last out. We ended up losing by one point. It was the MOST EXCITING GAME I EVER PLAYED IN!