Wednesday, April 18, 2012

My Granny Farley Had the Softest Skin

The only thing she ever used and she swore by it was Jergen's lotion.

She worked a farm, raised a family, cleaned the house, ran a boarding house and still went to church looking like a lovely lady.

When I say she worked a farm I mean she did it all. She milked the cows, fed the chickens and rabbits and horses and pigs. They didn't buy anything at the store except for flour and sugar. If they had fried chicken, first she had to catch the chicken and then kill the chicken and then defeather the chicken. Finally she would skin the chicken and fry it up with all the trimmings.

In a funny sort of related story. My dad used to laugh about how easily My Granny Farley could kill a chicken. He said she would catch it and wring it's neck in a fraction of a second. On the other hand, his mother, my Granny Brennan would catch a chicken and he said she would stand and spin the chicken round and round just like a propeller. He said half the time she would get tired and the chicken would just wander off to get eaten another day. He said she never did get the knack of snapping that chicken's neck.

In this last picture my Granny Farley (left) Aunt Edna on the right. Granny was 14 years old.

No comments: