Monday, May 28, 2012

A Highly Uncomfortable Situation

Pastor Rick and his wife had a cookout for Lee Terrace on Saturday. They don't require anyone to go to church to attend. All residents are welcome.

We were all under the Gazebo enjoying ourselves when a woman walked up who is known to be a little of a religious fanatic. She goes to another church though. Not Pastor Rick's, not that it makes much difference to the story.

Anyway...All of a sudden she asks, "who hasn't been saved?"

Dummy, Me, pipes up, "I haven't." I knew as soon as the words left my lips I should have kept my mouth shut. I don't know what inspired me to open my big, fat mouth!

She looks at me and smiles and says, "I knew there was a reason I was drawn to you." Then she walks over and gives me a big hug and get in my face (she could have kissed me if she had been any closer) and says, "repeat after me."

"Dear, God..."

Of course I clamped up. I was not about to ask God to save me in the middle of a Memorial Weekend picnic. She didn't ask if I wanted to be saved. She just walked over and started her ritual.

Then she prompted me again, saying, "go ahead."

That is when I told her, "NO." Very firmly I might add. At this point everyone around was watching what was taking place and it was obvious they were as uncomfortable with the situation as I was. For both of us...not just me.

Then she demanded to know why. I told her I wasn't ready and I wasn't going to do it. She kept pressuring me for a minute or two and finally dropped it. It was truly uncomfortable for everyone. When she left everyone started to assure me that I had done the right thing. Getting saved is not something you do just because someone else wants you to. If you do it, it has to be something you want to do. Period.

Still, I should have just kept my mouth shut and the whole situation would have been avoided. I blame it on lack of oxygen and the heat. I was also a touch dehydrated over the weekend but I think I have fixed that now.

No comments: