Sunday, June 10, 2012

Come Hell or High Water I'm Going Fishing Today

It is free fishing weekend in West Virginia. You don't need a license. I went yesterday and caught a fish. I had to throw it back because it was too small but at least I caught one. Nobody else did.

So I'm going again this evening.

I also had a wonderful dinner yesterday. I've been wanting it for years. When my uncle and aunt cleaned out their freezer the other day they found a squirrel. I can't remember the last time I had squirrel. So yesterday I fixed squirrel, gravy, dumplings, mashed potatoes and I also had some shuck beans. Haven't had shuck beans since I was a kid either. For those of you who don't know what shuck beans are they are also called "leather britches." They are dried green beans. You take fresh half runners or pole beans and you string them with a needle and thread and hang them to dry on the back porch or somewhere. You can leave them for months. When you are ready to cook them you fix them with bacon grease and new potatoes. They are wonderful. They have a whole new flavor and texture to them that you don't get with fresh or canned green beans.

If you look up leather britches on the internet you will see articles on how to make them and it also tells you that you can't find them anymore. I am here to tell you that they are alive and well in West Virginia and people like my aunt can make them like it's nobody's business!

Also yesterday morning my friend, Sherry, had a yard sale. I got some lovely treasures at her house including a teddy bear collection that I am going to mail to my great niece in Florida for her 7th. birthday. We had a great visit as well. Then I went to her neighbor who was having a yardsale as well and bought the bedspread, dust ruffle and pillow shams of my dreams for a mere $3. I couldn't believe my good fortune.

I am waiting on Eddie to come over so he can put the dust ruffle on for me because I'll have to lift the mattress to do it. Can't wait to see my new bedroom...may have to find some curtains to match!

No comments: