Thursday, June 7, 2012

One more thing to watch for in the pool

We've all watched small children play and marveled at their boundless energy. They can run in circles for what seems like hours and never rest. It is the same way when they are in the pool. They can swim forever and have a wonderful time. The problem comes when they get tired. They have no way to gauge when they are getting tired they just get tired and they need to stop. Unfortunately if they need to stop and the water is over their heads they just go under.

There is no warning.

There is no sound.

This is one reason public pools require children to rest for 15 minutes out of every hour. Also it gives them a chance for a bathroom break instead of peeing in the pool.

The best part is that they don't require adults to get out of the water. It is a time of peace for me and I love it. I don't have to dodge crazed children as they go about their play with no concern for who they are running over.

It also gives me a chance to float in peace. The one advantage to being fat is that I can float endlessly in the pool. I can't tell you how many kids come to me at the end of the break and want to learn to float. I do my best to teach them but I also explain to them that "fat floats"

When I was a kid I used to try to float with no success. I was so jealous of my dad who could float forever and he tried more than once to teach me. I had zero body fat when I was a kid. No I can float just like he did. The problem is all my weight is concentrated in my ASS! It wants to float to the top. Unfortunately I can't breathe through that blowhole!

No comments: