Sunday, August 5, 2012

Life with her was like a Disney movie (part 2)

A few months later I had to move again. There was not a lot of property but I built a large pen out of my whole back yard. I actually witnessed my 17 year old nephew pick up a telephone pole during that process. A quite impressive show of strength - but I digress. The pen was for Disney and Max and Skye. Max and Skye were my white german shepherds. I had allowed Disney and Skye free run of the farm but Max could not be trusted to run loose. He did get along well with Disney and Skye though - they were his private harem.

One day I came home from work and as soon as I saw Disney in the pen I knew something was wrong. Apparently while I was gone there had been a fight and Max and Skye tore her up pretty badly. I brought Disney in and nursed her back to health. This took several weeks as she had some rather serious wounds. Fortunately she didn't have the strength to tear the house up and she rather enjoyed the company of my yorkie and my maltese and my chinese crested.

I couldn't put Disney back out with Max and Skye again and I couldn't leave her in the house so I built her a large dog house and I had to chain her to it. I let her loose to run as often as I could. Unfortunately this led to another problem. SHE KEPT EATING HER DOGHOUSES! Almost as fast as I could build a new one she would chew it up so I was constantly in the process of building new houses for her. One day a branch fell off a tree and I watched her devour it. Her appetite for destruction led to someone calling the pound on me. Me! I have rescued more dogs and animals than most people can comprehend and here was the local dog catcher knocking on my door, checking on Disney.

I took him out to see her and I explained the situation to him. He observed the doghouse that she was tied to. At this point obviously unfit for habitation. He was also happy to observe that I had another house over halfway finished for her to go to. (it had been about a week since I tied her to the first house) Unfortunately neither house was quite ready for her to live in. Then he asked me, "why do you think she keeps doing this?"

My reply was, "I don't know. I've asked her a thousand times. Why don't you ask her and see what she tells you." I pointed out that boredom was the most likely culprit and I told him her history. I told him if he really thought she was abused then to go ahead and take her because I was doing the best I could with her. I pointed out that he would probably have to kill her because nobody else on earth was going to take care of her like I did. He left her alone with my assurances that I would finish the doghouse immediately which was my intention anyway.

One thing I did learn in rebuilding all these houses is that she liked a window in the back of the house. If she had a window in the back and a door in the front she was able to see all around and the houses would last twice as long. (about a month) Go figure.

Then I got sick. I had to find all my animals homes. First my Uncle Jimmy took Disney. He gave her back after 2 weeks. She was tearing out the insulation and heating vents under his house. Then I gave her to Sis. Sis knew she was Disney's last hope. She couldn't tolerate her either but she found her a home up the head of a hollow with a family that had kids. The last I heard Disney was still there.

No comments: