Sunday, February 21, 2010

If you're going to correct my English...

at least do it in a proper manner. I was working for a man who was a gawd awful crack addict. He was in the middle of a rant one day and the subject came up about my use of the word "y'all". Here is what he said to me:

"Y'all, what the hell is y'all. Don't you hillbillies know that the proper word is you'uns."

I could stand it no more. "You'uns," I yelled back at him. "What the fuc% is you'uns. If you're going to correct me then the least you can do is to use proper English, which by the way would be you. That is all, just you, singular or plural! You'uns! You are an imbecile!"

He was from Boston. Apparently they say "you'uns", which is short for "you ones." That definitely makes no sense to me - especially in the plural sense.

No comments: