Wednesday, April 28, 2010

Beauty School Dropout

Actually I didn't dropout I just liked the title. From the first day of school I knew I should quit. They gave us an aptitude test and it showed I was not cut out for it. Don't get me wrong my skills were good. I loved to haircuts and perms. My problem was that I didn't care for the fact that I had to get chummy with people for the time they sat in my chair to get their hair done. I am just NOT that much of a people person. I didn't quit because I had already paid for the first half of school and they would have kept almost $300 as a penalty for early withdrawal. So I stuck it out for a year and a month and a week and a day.

I worked long enough to pay off my student loan and I never did anymore hair except for a few select friends and family and myself. In that picture I had just gotten my crimped perm. I loved it. Of course over the year I had so many procedures that I fried my hair. My hair went from being long and blonde and straight when I started school to being 3/4 inch long on top and 3 inches long in the back when I graduated. But that's life in beauty school. This was in 1984-85 when Cyndi Lauper and Madonna were the big influences in hair in those days. Remember that?

No comments: