Thursday, May 20, 2010

Here's Why I Only Swim In Public Pools Now

This happened 3 years ago. It was the first time I had gone swimming after my heart failure. I didn't realize just how weak I was. Looking back at it now though it is quite funny.

Let me tell you about my Memorial Day Fiasco! First of all I went to a KFC picnic at Fruth. It was fun. Then I decided to go swimming. I drove to the local public pool which is at the top of a very steep mountain. About 3/4 the way up there were these kids sitting there in the 90 degree heat looking like they were going to have a heat stroke. I stopped and motioned them into the back of my truck. I gave them a ride to the pool and dropped them off. I left because the pool was jammed packed with wall to wall people. Anyway picking up those kids was my good deed for the day. I try to do one every day.

Then I decided to drive to Coal River to one of the local swimming holes. I stopped along the way and bought a couple of noodles and a cold water. I got to the river and there were people swimming and kayaking and just having a good time in general. I waded out into the water with my noodles and got picked up by the current. I realized immediately that I was in a bit of a pickle because the current was sweeping me away and the further I went the further I had to go to get back to my truck. Those 2 $1 noodles probably saved my life.

I finally made it to the riverbank but then I had to figure out how to get back to my truck. The bank was too steep and overgrown with brush to climb and the mud was so deep that I was sinking to my knees with each step. So I had to wade back out into the current and walk back. I had to make sure I kept my balance so I wouldn't be swept away again plus the bottom was covered with algae and sharp rocks. I also had to watch each step because there was debris which could cut my feet (not to mention that I had to avoid any area where I thought a snapping turtle might be) To top things off I had to rest about every 10 or 20 steps because I would get tired just walking though Walmart. The last thing I needed was to get myself in a position where I needed to use my oxygen - which by the way I had to put on when I finally did make it to my truck.

As usual I had to learn the hard way that I can't have that much fun anymore. At least now I can look back and laugh and pretend that I had a good holiday! Remember at the end, life is about memory and experience because you can't take it with you.

No comments: