Saturday, June 5, 2010

Poor Little Birdie

One pretty spring day my husband and I were at he park as usual when we saw a mother bird teaching her baby bird to fly. The baby was so cute. It was flying but with no control what so ever just bobbling up and down and up and down through the air.

Unfortunately just when they started to fly across the road a car started coming and the baby bird was in perfect position to get hit. All of a sudden the mama bird swooped down and knocked the baby bird out of the way of the car. Mama got hit and died.

We went over and picked up the baby bird which usually you shouldn't do because it throws them into shock but its mother just died and it was obvious that it couldn't take care of itself yet. We took it to the park ranger. At first he irritatedly asked, "well, what do you want me to do about it", when I handed him the shoe box with the baby bird in it?

I said, "I don't know, you're the ranger. I thought that's what ranger's did, take care of the park." He told me he would take care of it when I said that. I have a feeling I don't want to know what he did with that baby bird though.

Most people believe that animals don't have feelings (especially wild animals) but here was a mother bird who gave her life for her baby when she saw that it was in danger. It was noble and sad and sweet all at the same time.

No comments: