Sunday, July 18, 2010

I'm Not Much On Babysitting...

...actually I'm not much on kids in general. That's why I don't have any. With the exception of my niece and nephew I haven't done much babysitting in my life at all. (I think I have only changed 2 diapers in my entire life!) I am childless by choice and I have spent my entire adult life basically enjoying myself.

Some tell me I'm lucky, I say "if you leave it up to luck, you'll have kids everytime!"

When I used to babysit Becca and Arny, my brother and his wife would insist on paying me - at first anyway. I kept telling them that I didn't want money to watch my own niece and nephew, but they kept leaving me $40 and $50 everytime I would come to watch them. I would take the money and my niece and nephew and we would go out to eat wherever we wanted and what ever the balance was we would head to the nearest store and blow it! We would bring home our bags and dump it out in a huge pile of the biggest waste of candy and toys that any kids could want! We had candy and gum and crayons and jacks and toy guns and movies and whatever we saw fit to blow that money on. We wouldn't leave the store until every penny was spent (and then some usually).

Billy and Lisa got fed up with this huge waste of money eventually and learned to leave us enough for a pizza or something. Becca and Arny and I always had a good time though. We really didn't need money to have fun. I tried to always go out of my way to give them the aunt that I never had. (in defense of my aunts and uncles, they are the basically the same age as I and always felt more like cousins to me anyway.)

No comments: