Thursday, January 13, 2011

Pamala Peehole!

We used to play all over the mountain behind my Granny Brennan's house. There were tons of aunts and uncles and cousins to play with plus whatever friends were hanging around too. We never did make it to the top of the mountain, even though we set off on more than one expedition. One time when I was in the 6th. grade, we ALMOST made it.

There was me and Billy and Rhonda and my Aunt Robin and my cousins Allen and Angie. We set off one day with the goal of making it all the way to the top. We were almost there when we came upon a huge log in our path and the only way around it was to literally climb over it. It may have been the biggest log I have ever seen. After getting everybody over it (we had to help the little ones) we continued our trek. Allen was leading the way.

After about 20 feet Allen stops and calmly says, "Snake."

Robin walks up and looks and says matter of factly, "Snake." In a tone like "yep, that's a snake."

I walk up and I see a snake coiled beside the path(probably resting as I look back on it now). I promptly SCREAM, "SNAAAKE!" At which time everybody takes off running full speed back down the mountain. The problem was we all hit that tree at the same time. Here we were 6 writhing, screaming kids panicked out of their minds caught in a massive traffic jam trying to scramble back over that log. I was last. I was so sure that the snake was racing back down the mountain straight at us that I peed all over myself.

Once we managed to get over that log, we all flew down the mountain to our parents screaming, "Snake! Snake!" the whole way. It scared our parents to death. Once they heard the whole story they died laughing (there is no snake on earth that is going to chase a bunch of screaming kids down a mountain). The most humiliating part is that everybody knew that I got so scared that I peed my pants. To add insult to injury we didn't make it to the top of the mountain either.

That is how I got the most hated nickname, "Pamala Peehole!"

No comments: