Wednesday, June 20, 2012

I Was a Terror on the Playground

I wasn't really a bully. I was an avenger. First my brother was always getting into trouble with the other kids. I would have to defend him. NO ONE had the nerve to stand up to me. My status as the hardest shin kicker on the playground was legendary and if all else failed my famous windmill fighting style was more than anybody could defend.

Time after time I would catch somebody (usually multiple boys) going after my brother. Usually getting even for whatever my brother had done to them but I couldn't allow an unfair fight against him, so I would jump to his defense every time. Every time that is until the 5th. grade. That is when I caught Todd, George, Paul and Greg jumping my brother. This time Todd and George held my arms and asked me, "don't you think he deserves it?" As Paul and Greg were beating on Billy.

I looked at them and said, "you know what? He does." With that, they let me go and I walked off and never defended him again. He needed to learn not to antagonize the other kids and me defending him all the time was not helping him.

My legendary status as a fighter followed me all the way through High School though. I think it had a lot to do with the fact that I never had a date in high school. Could have been all the pimples though. Could have just been my bookworm personality. I remember a couple of crushes which were reciprocated but I never had the nerve to follow through.

No comments: