Wednesday, October 6, 2010

The Flood of '67

I was 5 years old. Here is what I remember.

I woke up in the car in the middle of the night and it was crammed with boxes. Billy and Rhonda and I barely fit in the backseat. We had to stand up.

My Raggedy Andy doll drowned in the flood. I lost all my blocks.

My mom says that they barely got us out of the house in time. The water came up so fast that it was swirling around our beds when they carried us out. My dad borrowed a truck from a friend who owned a store and saved many of our possessions. We stayed with friends for a few days until the water subsided and our parents were able to clean the river mud out of the house. The water was several feet deep in the house. The waterline on the wall was higher than I was tall.

My hometown of Logan, WV, used to flood several times a year. When I was in high school they built the RD Bailey Dam. This solved the problem. Now it only floods every few years. It was an excellent use of tax dollars.

No comments: