Sunday, January 16, 2011

What Kind of Woman Was She?

I remember her fixing her kids and grand kids whatever they wanted for breakfast. One kid would have eggs and bacon, another would have pancakes, others would have cereal. It didn't matter what you wanted she would fix it.

Her chicken and dumplings were legendary. (the secret she told me was cream of chicken soup). She could cook as well as any gourmet chef. I remember once she was particularly stressed over the progress of a meal. (which was perfect by the way, you know how granny's cluck over their cooking) She threw her hands in the air and yelled, "hallelujah anyhow!" Then she smiled a big smile and kept on about her business.

She took care of my dad when no one else would. This was before I realized how sick he was. Sometimes you have to be hit over the head (figuratively) before you realize that the strongest person in your life needs help. She nursed him. She cooked for him. She gave him money and shelter.

She raised 7 children on practically no money from my alcoholic grandfather. Her divorce from him was one of the most painful parts of her life and she never stopped loving him.

7 children:

my dad was a successful businessman

Wanda was a teacher and is now a real estate broker

Johnny is a CPA and works for the board of education as well

Rhonda Kay is a doctor

Mary is a full time mom and takes any work she can to take care of her kids

Jimmy is a hard working blue collar kind of guy

Robin is married and working in Germany

Granny was an evangelist. She preached all over southern West Virginia. She was never happier than when she was working for the Lord. I always considered this to be very women's lib of her because she would insist that men were the head of the household. She would go out to preach and sing at a moment's notice.

She could crochet the most beautiful things. I had the afghan she made me when I graduated for 25 years and it looked as good as new. I still have some of her snowflakes for the Christmas tree and the crochet Christmas candles she made me. My favorite thing was the crochet Christmas stockings she made with Santa carrying a Christmas Tree.

I remember when all was chaos in her house (7 kids and grandkids, you know), she would be pleading for peace and cooking for everybody all at the same time.

No comments: