Wednesday, August 24, 2011

When a Tree Falls

One time my husband, at the time, was cutting the top out of a tree behind his mother's house. His sister, Jeannie, and I were holding the guide ropes to make sure the tree fell in the direction he wanted it to fall. Jeannie and I were just standing there nonchalantly holding the ropes talking with each other when we heard a tremendous crack and a rip and the top of the tree started to fall.

We both looked up and I thought, "it's going to fall on us!"

Then I thought, "no, it's not."

Then in a major panic I realized that the tree was coming straight for us. The only thing I had time to do was dive behind a nearby tree to shield myself.

It worked. The tree crashed to the ground all around me - on both sides of the tree that I was hiding behind there were nothing but large, green, leafy branches. But I was safe.

However, I looked over just in time to see a large branch actually bounce just above Jeannie's head just like a yoyo. I could swear that it actually touched her face before it popped back up in the air and settled in it's final resting place. She had frozen in place! She was standing there, with her mouth wide open, looking in the air at the branch just inches above her head! She had not moved an inch. It was only by the grace of God that she was still alive because there is no reason that the very large branch should not have cracked her skull!

No comments: