Saturday, October 22, 2011

A Last Conversation With my Mother-in-law

This is one of the blogs that were lost when 360 shut down. I just realized that I didn't have it anymore.

I called my mother-in-law. I hadn't spoken with her in the 10 years since I left my ex even though she and I had built a good relationship over the years. I couldn't contact anyone in his family because the circumstances under which our relationship ended.

We had a wonderful conversation. She told me she was glad to hear from me and that she had missed me. She also told me that I was her favorite daughter-in-law.

I told her that I had always told people that I had a good mother-in-law...when I had one (which was the truth). She laughed about it. We talked about 10 minutes before we hung up the phone and she told me she would pass my message on to my ex.

When my ex called me a few weeks later he told me that his mom had just been diagnosed with cancer. He said my call meant the world to her.

Sometimes I think the universe has a way of stepping in and this was one of those times. I'm glad I got to speak with her and let her know there had never been any animosity toward her. She understood.

No comments: