Monday, December 5, 2011

The Bigger They Are the Harder They Fall...

... at least that was the attitude of the tiny chihuahua that jumped out in front of my truck one beautiful summer day.

I was cruising the backroads of West Virginia on a perfect summer day. Everything was fine until I rounded a blind curve and all of a sudden a tiny, fearsome chihuahua jumped out into the center of my lane and planted all four of his tiny, little feet. I didn't have enough time to even touch my brakes as he faced me down with all the lion sized courage that a teensy chihuahua has inside. In my mind I could hear his growl as he bared his teeth and stared me down with pure hate in his eyes.

In the same second I popped him with my truck! I didn't have time to even attempt to swerve. He was just there, challenging me to do battle in the center of the road.

He lost.

I looked back in my rearview mirror. It was obvious that I didn't need to stop. He was lying there stiff as a board on his back with all four legs sticking straight up into the air. It was so sad but it was also too funny. He looked like something out of a cartoon.

No comments: