Saturday, December 10, 2011

We Cheered My Brother on When He "Broke" the Christmas Tree

In my family we always had real Christmas Trees. When I was in junior high school my parents decided that they wanted an artificial tree. All three of us kids HATED it. We wanted a real tree complete with needles falling and sap and that wonderful Christmas Tree smell that no scented candle can duplicate even though they all try.

For two years we complained about that stupid tree. For two years it was packed away to be used for the next Christmas. When my parents would get the tree out we would beg them for a real tree but they had "invested" in the artificial tree and they were determined to get their money's worth out of it.

The third year my brother had an excellent idea. He "accidentally" broke the stalk of the tree when he was packing it away. My sister and I just smiled sweetly as he stored it in the workshop. The next year my parents went to put up the tree when "lo and behold" it was broken.

We begged then NOT to buy another aritficial tree. They finally admitted they didn't like the artificial tree anyway and we always had a real tree after that. In fact I always had a real tree myself until just a couple of years ago. With my breathing problems it became obvious to me that I was going to have to give up a real tree.

I miss them.

No comments: