Friday, May 25, 2012

I Finally Got My Dishes But the Price Was Too High

There is a woman who comes to Lee Terrace a few times a year and sets up a flea market in the community room. Two different times she has had a set of beautiful, antique dishes. One was the famous Blue Willow pattern and the other was a lovely, pink floral set trimmed in gold.

Both times I was amazed that she only wanted $10 for the whole set. Both times I left for my apartment to get the money to buy them. Both times Lillian swooped in behind me and bought the dishes out from underneath me.

I took it good naturedly as one does with the spoils of war, but the second time I asked her to sell me the dishes because she already had one set. She agreed. When I went to buy them she changed her mind but promised me that if she ever decided to sell them then she would sell them to me. Over the last couple of years I asked a couple of times but she didn't want to sell them. We would joke about her buying "MY DISHES" though.

Lillian died yesterday. She was 89 years old. She had health problems but she was still full of life and wasn't ready to go. But it was her time.

Today her family was in the building putting her possessions out on the table for anyone to take. (much of the stuff was stuff I have had donated to clothe and feed residents of the building) I decided to ask them about the dishes. They wanted to sell them and they agreed to sell me both sets for $20. $10 a set which is what Lillian paid for them.

Now I have my dishes.

I would rather still be joking with Lillian about her buying "MY DISHES" though.

I will take pictures of them later.

No comments: