Thursday, May 10, 2012

It's Funny Now But at the Time.....

...the news positively sent my head reeling. I felt like I was being sucked into a tunnel.

I went into work and I was waiting to clock into work when I saw a coworker that I don't necessarily see every day. She asked me how my mom was. I told her fine as far as I knew but I hadn't spoken to her for awhile. She said, "Didn't you get her message?"

"What message," I asked?

She said, "Your mom called a couple of days ago and said it was an emergency that she needed to speak to you."

I couldn't comprehend what I had just heard. How in the world could my mom call and tell someone that there was an emergency and no one told me. Lynn told me that she thought someone else had told me.

My mom was a nurse and she didn't use the word "emergency" lightly. I knew something was desperately wrong if she had called me. She usually doesn't pass on news to me so the call was highly unusual. So I got on the phone and tried to call her. She wasn't answering the phone. I tried several times with no luck and I was worried sick so I wanted to call my Aunt Edna but I didn't have her number. So I called a friend in Logan. (I was 60 miles away in Charleston) I asked her to look in the phone book for Edna Mitchem. Mitsie told me there was no Edna Mitchem listed. So I had her read all the Mitchems in the phone book to me and after 4 or 5 of them she called off Ruth Mitchem.

"That's her," I yelled! "What's the number?"

Mitsie gave me the number and I thanked her and hung up the phone and called my aunt. Thankfully she was home. I told her mommy called and left me an emergency message and I couldn't reach her. I asked her what was wrong. My Aunt Edna said...."Bill Brennan Died....." My head started to reel and I could feel myself being sucked into a tunnel. I had never experienced anything like it. For those of you who don't know, Bill Brennan was my dad.

As soon as the words left her lips she started to retract the statement while she laughed at her mistake. "Oh Shoot," She exclaimed! "I meant to say Bill Thompson, not Bill Brennan." My sigh of relief was immediate. Thankfully my dad was ok. Bill Thompson was an old man that my mom looked after in a nursing home. While she cared deeply for him he wasn't someone who was close to anybody in the family. So other than my mom being upset at his dying it didn't really affect me too much.

I laughed with my aunt at her mistake and I was relieved that nothing was wrong with my mom. So I hung up and went on to work. I did speak to my mom later in the day after my aunt got hold of her for me.

All's well that ends well.

No comments: