Tuesday, July 6, 2010

I am officially a "has been"

I guess that is better than being a "never was".

One night last year I was at work and I was laughing with a friend about the time I thought the people at the track were messing with me when they told me that greyhounds used to race with monkeys on their backs. Turns out they were telling the truth. They did do that back in the 30's but too many monkeys were killed so they had to quit it.

A girl who had overheard me talking walked up and told me that it was true. I told her that I knew it was because I used to train greyhounds and she told me that she was a trainer now. I enjoyed talking to her. It was like talking to myself 20 years ago.

She bragged about several of her accomplishments at the track including having an all female kennel. (a rare thing in a male dominated business) She told me that she was the first to have one at Tri-State. She was very proud of this and I didn't have the heart to tell her that I had one twice - and I was not the first female to do so.

If she goes back and happens to mention me to an old timer, she will find out. I didn't see the point in busting her bubble. It is tough to make it in that business - male or female. And I wish her all the best.

No comments: