Thursday, July 8, 2010

The Invasion of the Crabs!

This was one of the most terror filled moments of my life!

Bobby and I had gone to Florida for a vacation after a truck had run over my foot. I was either on crutches or sitting with my foot propped up on ice the whole time. We were in Melbourne, Florida visiting my dad and it just so happenned that for some reason thousands of crabs had decided to beach themselves. There were so many crabs that you couldn't drive down the road without running over hundreds of them. There was no way to miss them there were so many.

They weren't quite so bad in the afternoon so Bobby and I decided to venture to the beach. When we walked out onto the beach there were no crabs to be seen anywhere. By the time I made my way to the water (on crutches) the crabs had started to make an appearance. It didn't take long before we decided to leave the beach. I have had a long standing phobia for my whole life about crabs pinching my toes.

As I made my way across the beach the crabs started to converge towards me. Moving across the Florida sand on crutches is not an easy task and it took me some time to cross the beach. I had not quite made it to the brushy woods that was between the beach and the car when there were so many crabs that I could go no further.

I was screaming for Bobby to help me. I was getting hysterical with my tears that I was so afraid of those crabs. Bobby had to pick me up and carry me (and my crutches). Every which way he would turn the crabs would run away but the crabs on all the other sides would make a mad dash for us. He would turn one way (with me in his arms) and stomp his feet and yell. No sooner would he do that than the other crabs would race at us and he would have to turn another way and stomp his feet and yell.

He confessed after he finally got us out of the mess that he didn't know if we were going to make it out of there.

No comments: