Wednesday, June 15, 2011

At What Point Do You Go Back to the Store and Pay When You Find You Were UNDER Charged?

The other day I went back to Family Dollar and paid for some toilet paper that the cashier had missed when she was ringing me up. It was $5. I didn't know until I looked at my receipt when I got home that she had missed it. (I bought all kinds of stuff that day)

I thought about not going back but I just couldn't see doing that. If it had only been a dollar or so I wouldn't worry about it but I couldn't see not paying for it. Especially when the store is only a couple of blocks from the house and I didn't have to go out of my way to do it.

I will say if it had been Foodland, I wouldn't have gone back. They overcharge me all the time. I would have thought of it as getting even.

I remember one time at Fruth I gave a lady back an extra $45. I thought she paid me with a $50 bill and she had paid me with a $5 bill. I figured it out about 5 minutes after she left when another customer paid me with a $50 and I didn't have another one in my drawer. I know she knew it when I made the mistake to because of the look on her face. I thought I had done something wrong and I asked her if I had done something. She hurriedly said, "no, no, no, " and rushed out the store. Fortunately when I called the manager and told him he didn't make me pay back the shortage.

I remember once when we were with my dad at a Waffle House, the waitress brought my dad the check and she had made a humongous mistake adding it up. All of us kids were cheering at our good fortune. He told us that we had to let her know that she would have to pay back the money at the end of the day if we didn't. He corrected her mistake and paid for the meal. She was very pregnant and we had heard her talking about not having enough money to buy Easter baskets for her 3 kids.

Daddy left her a $20 tip and told her to go buy some Easter baskets for her kids. In those days that was plenty of money for Easter baskets.

No comments: