Friday, June 17, 2011

Well, I made it past the Expiration Date on my Foot

June 16th. was the 5 year anniversary of my heart failure. Basically my body died that day and I keep trying to ressurect it without success...but I keep trying.

When I went into the emergency room that day I was immediately unconcious. When I woke several hours later there was a doctor sitting by my side. When he asked how I was feeling, I told him, "better, I'm ready to go."

He said, "well, there's a problem and I think we need to keep you."

I told him I didn't have the money to pay for the treatment that I had already received and I had to go.

He informed me that the only reason I was feeling better was because I had 2 inches of nitro paste on my chest and if I left I would be dead in a matter of hours...so I called my neighbors to feed my dogs and I stayed in the hospital for a week.

They told me if I didn't change my ways I could die anytime. I undertook a major effort to change my diet and I now have a healthy diet even though I eat too much of the healthy stuff.

I feel much better.

The doctors told me I had a life expectancy of about 5 years. Social Security told me I had 3 years and that expired a year ago. I remember my mom telling me I wasn't going to live until my birthday so she gave me my birthday money a month early to pay my bills. Then she showed up on my doorstep a few weeks later and paid another month of my bills. She told me, "I have just bought a month of your life. It is up to you to take it from here."

My heart is not enlarged anymore. It is normal sized but it still doesn't pump right. I am too full of fluid.

They stopped 2 of my heart meds a couple months ago and I can tell a big difference. There is an energy there that hasn't been there in years. Even with my 3 broken toes healing I am still doing more than I was able to do a couple of months ago. I am doing more than I have been doing in years.

Here's to hope!

No comments: