Monday, June 27, 2011

Strange Things that I Have Eaten

1. Squirrel - I grew up eating squirrel and gravy and dumplings and mashed potatoes and green beans and biscuits - nothing better!

2. Venison - I love deer meat - fried, jerkied, bambi stroganoff, in vegetable soup

3. rabbit - has a light taste, like a chicken breast

4. turtle - my ex used to catch soft shell turtles and we would fry them up and eat them. It kind of tastes like dark meat chicken but richer

5. frog legs - tastes like turtle

6. conch fritters - I ate them at the Florida State Fair and I loved them. Only later did I learn that conch is that GIANT SEA SNAIL THAT LIVES IN THOSE GREAT BIG SEA SHELLS - that means that I have eaten snails and I would do it again!

7. mollymoochers - wild mushrooms that are harvested in the spring in West Virginia

8. I had ostrich, kangaroo, bear, bear chili, buffalo, bear barbeque(it was the best thing they had) and some reindeer sausage (I felt a little guilty about that one).

This was at the Dunbar Critter Dinner. It is a dinner held for charity every year in Dunbar, WV. They serve all sorts of strange things.

I didn't try the mountain oysters (cow balls)

8. Alligator - I had at the Okeechobee Steak House in WPB Florida. It costs about $10 dollars for about 5 little squares. Then I lived next to a guy that said he had a friend who had an alligator farm. He used to bring home garbage bags full of alligator and we would cook out and fry it all day long!

9. I remember tasting rattlesnake meat when I was a kid but I don't remember what it tasted like.

10. quail - taste kind of like dry chicken

No comments: