Monday, September 13, 2010

Conflict in the Land of the Squirrels

Every so often I write about my squirrels I feed everyday. For so long every thing was harmonious and all my lovelies would surround me and peacefully eat to their hearts content. Sometimes there would be as many as 7 squirrels at once with a few switching out. I believe there were as many as 9 but some of them look so much alike I can't tell them apart.

I go out about the same time and my little buddies come to me on sight or they at least know my chirp and come when I call them.

Then mating season hit. I didn't know what the problem was. I just knew the squirrels were acting particularly squirrely. I looked on the internet and sure enough - it was mating season. I thought that after breeding season was over (they had a particular branch they were fond of for fornication) that things would return to normal.

I was wrong.

The bullies from next door routinely ruin our fun and I have now taken steps to put a stop to it. I was scattering the feed as much as possible but that didn't work. The aggressors just expanded their territory. The ones who suffered the most were the pregnant and the mothers - just as in real life. The men were hogging everything with no concern for their mates or projeny.

Then I realized my favorite mommy squirrels were the ones who weren't scared to come right next to me. The males keep their distance. Now I just drop the food right next to my feet and the mamas can eat to their hearts content. I also drop a little at the foot of their trees so they don't have to worry about sneak attacks when they navigate their way through the branches to me.

FUNNY THOUGHT. IT IS COMPLETELY HILARIOUS TO SEE A SQUIRREL JUMP TO A BRANCH AND MISS! THEY FLOP FROM BRANCH TO BRANCH UNTIL THEY HIT THE GROUND. HEHE. I FIND IT HIGHLY AMUSING.

No comments: