Thursday, September 16, 2010

Oscar (part 2)

After getting kicked out, I started to hang out with the lowlifes around town (a rebellion thing, I suppose). Mostly I was trying to prove that these people were as good as anybody else was. I was raised a little rich girl and I sincerely believed that all men are created equal even though none of my friends did.

Anyway I was getting drunk every night and I discovered that I could drink pretty much anybody under the table - male or female - with no nasty hangover the next day. It was fun. I didn't do any kind of drugs but I did drink like a fish!

I met Oscar. He was about the lowest form of life around and I knew that being with him would piss my parents all to hell. It did. Now my mom wasn't speaking to me either. One night I did decide to break up with him but the police arrested him on some false charges. I could not let him go to jail for something he didn't do and in the process of fighting the charges (which were dropped) I fell in love with him.

I decided to move to Huntington (with Oscar) so that I could set up a place and work toward going to Marshall University the next year. Taking Oscar was a big mistake. I did not know that there were men in the world who didn't want to work and just wanted to sit on welfare and boss their women around. I learned that there were. I was young and stupid and in love though and so none of that mattered.

Quitting my job and moving to Huntington was a large mistake also because at that time, West Virginia had an almost 30% unemployment rate. I could not find a job. Finally I ran out of money. I had no food. I had no gas. I had a worthless man who would not work.

I drove to Logan and sneaked into my parents house one night. I knew there was a drawer with several hundred pennies and I was taking it when my mom came downstairs and caught me. She kicked me out of the house and told me I had no business taking their money because I didn't live there anymore. Which was absolutely true. I still needed to figure out how to get some food and gas though. That's when I had the big idea.

No comments: