When I was in jr. high school. I was frying a piece of fish. The pan caught on fire. I calmly picked up the pan and walked with it to the sink. I put the pan in the sink. I turned on the faucet.
the whole wall exploded in fire quicker than you can blink!
I squealed for my "Mommy". She was in the other room vacuuming the floor. She dropped the vacuum cleaner and came running because she heard that tone of fear in her child's voice that no mother ever wants to hear. I know that she put out the fire. I don't remember that part. She was not mad. She was glad that I was alive. She was glad the house didn't burn down.
She immediately taught me the proper way to put out a grease fire - smother it. Use a lid, throw salt on it, throw flour on it. You have to take away the oxygen supply. Oil and water do not mix. Water spreads the oil. Oil spreads the fire.