Tuesday, October 26, 2010

My First Charleyhorse

I was around 13 years old and I woke up in the middle of the night to a tremendous pain in my calf. Then I realized I couldn't move my foot. The pain was excruciating and I was crying with it and tried unsucessfully to shake my foot but it was locked in place. I was terrified!

I hopped down the hallway on my good leg, crying for my mommy the whole way. I hopped into my parents bedroom and flopped on top my mom in tears and screaming, "Mommy! Mommy!, I'm crippled! I'm crippled!"

Of course my mom woke up trying to figure out what in the world was wrong with me. Fortunately she was used to getting up in the middle of the night with me because I had nightmares almost every single night. She asked me what was wrong and through my tears and my writhing pain I told her what was wrong.

She laughed with relief. "You have a leg cramp," she told me as she set out to massage the cramp from my leg. As she massaged the pain away she explained what caused the cramp and explained to me what I needed to do to keep it from happening again. She also reasurred me that I was not crippled in anyway and it was not something I needed to worry about ever.

No comments: