Sunday, July 24, 2011

Have You Ever Eaten Leather Britches?

I used to love my granny's green beans. I forgot all about them until I ran across a reference to leather britches on the internet. I knew I should know what they were but I couldn't remember so I looked them up. I was thrilled when I saw the long rows of green beans that I used to see on my granny's porch year round.

Those beans were delicious! They were cooked in plenty of bacon grease or lard with new potatoes and green onions and cornbread! It was some of the best eatin' I ever had.

According to the internet, modern versions of green beans don't make good leather britches but I think I'm going to try to make some anyway. All you do is take a needle and thread and thread them through your beans and hang them up to dry. They look as shriveled up as beef jerky does after a while. That's why you have to cook them in grease. To soften them up!

The flavor is like no other - I'm off to buy some pole beans (I like those better than half runners) and give it a whirl. I'll let you know in a few months how things worked out.

No comments: