Wednesday, July 27, 2011

My First Mammogram

Here is the story of my first mammogram. I went into the little room and the nurse had me to wipe off my underarms even though I told her that I wasn't wearing deodorant. My doctor had told me beforehand not to wear any. I put on the exam gown and waited until the tech came in.

She guided me over to the little window at the front of the machine. It is about 12x12inches square. There is a small shelf at the base of the window. As she was going around me she could see the perplexed look on my face and that I was hesitating. She asked me what was wrong. I very seriously looked over at her and said "There is no way that I can fit both of them on that little shelf."

Well, she busted out with one loud burst of laughter which she quickly cut off. She said "Honey we just do them one at a time." and turned away with a smile on her face. Now to make the picture even better I am not particularly well endowed. So I was standing there thinking " I'll never get them to squish together enough to fit on that shelf. How in the world do women with big ----s do this."

Then of course she proceeded to do the mammogram squishing and flattening them just like you have heard about. I don't think it was as painful as what some people would have you to believe.

I have told several of my friends this story when they tell me they are going to go for their first mammogram. Each of them came back afterward telling me how they pictured me in that room and they actually stood there smiling while they had their mammogram. It greatly eased their apprehension. Two of them even told me they had a good laugh with the tech about it.

So if it helps pass it on.

I posted this because I had another mammogram today - I was in and out of the building in less than 20 minutes.

No comments: