Monday, July 9, 2012

One of the Most Terrifying Moments of my Childhood

I was around 13 or so. I was in the kitchen frying a piece of fish. The pan caught on fire. I cooly and calmly picked up the pan and walked over to the water spighot and turned it on full blast into the pan. In less than a second the entire wall of the kitchen in front of me was engulfed in flames! You can't imagine how big and how fast those flames shot up!

I threw myself backwards and SQUEALED, "MOMMY!" I was absolutely terrified.

My mom was vacuuming in the living room. I guess my scream of pure terror hit a note with her because I heard the vacuum cleaner drop to the floor before it had finished leaving my mouth. She raced into the kitchen and threw flour or salt or something on the fire.

Once she made sure I was safe she asked me what had happenned. When I told her what I had done she promptly explained the proper way to put out a grease fire. You have to smother it with a lid or flour or salt or whatever dry goods are around that will take away the oxygen supply. NEVER, EVER put water on a grease fire. The fire will spread as far and wide as the water spreads.

No comments: