Saturday, July 14, 2012

Stepdaughters and Make-up

Soon after I first married Bobby's daughter's came to spend the weekend with us. I had met them before we met. In fact the first time I ever met them they planned their father's and my impending nuptials. The only problem was that Bobby and I had not been dating too long and to say it was awkward would be putting it mildly. Putting our uncomfortable feelings aside, we played along because his daughters seemed to be having so much fun with it.

We were leaving to take them roller skating and we were staying with his parents because they hadn't seen the girls in awhile. They ran down to their aunt's house to get ready and once I got ready to went to get them. What I saw when they pranced out of that house as only 11 year old girls can when they are feeling pretty almost floored me on the spot. I wanted to laugh hysterically but I didn't because I didn't want to hurt their feelings. I couldn't let them go out in public that way because I guarantee you the rest of the world wouldn't be able to contain their mirth at the sight.

They decided they were going to wear make-up. Unfortunately it was obvious that no one had ever taught them to put on make-up. Coming toward me were two, giggly little girls that had on full fledged clown faces! I wasn't their mother or father so I couldn't tell them to take it off. They had barely even met me.

Thinking fast I told them that their daddy hated make-up. I pointed out that I wasn't even wearing any which sealed the deal for them. They ran back in the house and scrubbed their faces clean so that their daddy would be pleased. Unfortunately I couldn't put my own make-up on because I had got them to take theirs off.

Anyway we went skating and had a wonderful time.

No comments: