Monday, November 29, 2010

My Life in a Nutshell

I graduated from Logan High at Logan, WV in 1980. I quit Ohio State after 2 quarters. I intended to go to another college but life interfered with that although I have taken countless classes over the years that don't amount to a hill of beans - just whatever interested me at the time.

I went to Beauty School and graduated. I hated it. I liked doing hair, what I didn't like was interacting with people for a 1/2 hour to an hour at a time. I worked enough to pay off my student loan and other than cutting my hair that's all I do with that now.

I was married in 1982. We divorced in 1998 and I was blissfully happy until the day I left.

I found my calling when I started to train greyhounds in 1987. I knew I would do it forever the first time I stepped into a turnout pen. Originally I got the job to expose the big, bad track for greyhound abuse but I found out that most of the dogs were treated like kings and I could effect more change by staying in the business. Plus, I just plain loved it. My ex and I found homes for over 2000 greyhounds. When I first started finding homes for them people would laugh at me. I reeducated a lot of people in the business about what could happen if you found homes for the dogs. I am proud of my ripple effect with those efforts.

Unfortunately when I left my ex I had to leave the dog business. When I left him we were at the beginnings of financial and professional success. I got the bills and he got the money. I farted around at silly jobs for years and supplemented my income by raising dogs and finding homes for 100's of strays.

I bowed out of my life for 2 3/4 years to take care of my dying father.

Just when I was on the verge of financial success again, I went into the hospital with heart failure. I am alive. I am unable to work (except parttime). I no longer have any animals except for my fatty catty.

Life sucks but it is what it is.

No comments: