Friday, December 3, 2010

The Year I Ruined Christmas

When I was eleven years old I was a master at sneaking downstairs and opening presents and putting them back so no one would ever know they had been touched. I caught my mom away from home shopping one day and opened every present that I had under the tree. I knew there would be more on Christmas day so it was no big deal.

Christmas day came and we went downstairs and I looked around the room and the only presents were the ones that I had already opened under the tree. They weren't scattered all over the room like they usually were on Christmas morning. I did not have even one surprise. Even worse I had to open my gifts in front of my parents and feign surprise with each one.

Don't get me wrong. I had plenty of presents that day. I had a very good Christmas, it was just that I already knew everything that I had already. It was a lesson that I never forgot and I have never tried to find out early what a present was even to this day!

No comments: