Sunday, April 10, 2011

Don't Tell On Me

It is fine free week at the library.

I had a book out, technically it is still out, since 1977.

I was thrilled when my mom let me stop at the bookmobile and get a book. I wasn't so thrilled the next month when it came back and I didn't have a way to return the book.

I kept it and kept it. I worried as a teenager that the book police would come and arrest me.

After a few years I didn't take it back because I was afraid to and I wouldn't go to the library either.

I left home and our house burned down and I thought the book went with it.

About ten years later the book turned up.

Then I realized that I was only about 50 years from setting a world record for returning a book.

So I kept it.

When I got sick the book went by the wayside as did most of my possessions.

I have no idea where it is now. The landlord probably burned it with all the stuff I left there that she didn't want.

The book was, "Justin Morgan, Story of the First Morgan Horse".

I was fortunate enough to have a Morgan Horse over the summer when I was in the 6th. grade.

No comments: