Thursday, July 14, 2011

When I was a kid I used to believe that flea markets sold fleas

When I was a kid I coudn't understand why people would want to go into a flea market. I thought they sold fleas. I also thought that is where the fleas came from in cartoons when you see a flea circus! We were on a trip to Florida one time and my parents stopped at a roadside flea market. They thought it was hilarious that I was afraid to get out of the car because I didn't want to get fleas.I had a picture in my mind of a three ring flea circus complete with trapeze fleas and a flea ferris wheel and flea acrobats dancing across the floor and flea cotton candy vendors and...
now in a non related flea story
When I first met my ex-husband we went to an abandoned store that my parents owned. I had stayed there some with my dog, Skippy, when I was getting kicked out of the house every other week or so. I wanted to pick up a few of my possessions.
Apparently, in the weeks that Skippy and I had been gone we had left behind a few pests that decided to multiply in their undisturbed environment. We walked into the building and didn't take more than a few steps when we started to get bitten! In less than a minute the bites became so severe that we actually ran out of the store! By the time we got outside we were actually covered in so many fleas that our clothes were almost black! We actually had to disrobe and leave our clothes behind before we could get into his truck.
It's a damn good thing I had somewhere else to stay. No living being could have survived in that building after that.

No comments: